Lijit Ad Tag

Nov 21, 2010

Fried Pumpkin: Indian Style

(Thank you everyone for helping get this to FoodBuzz Top 9)




Hmmm ....... I seem to be posting lots of bake stuff lately. This should be a change ... and healthier too! Besides, there are pumpkins everywhere you turn, with halloween just over and thanksgiving a couple of days away.
This is one of my favorites from Indian cuisine and the recipe came to me by way of a good friend who has decided to uproot and re-plant herself and husband down under, leaving us a couple of good friends short over this end of the planet. Sigh. You know who you are.
But, on the positive side, we now have another place to visit for our holidays. Yay! And since she's not here to cook me this dish, I hope I'll do justice to this healthylicious recipe of hers.
Fortunately (for me), it's not too fussy a dish to make. You can even substitute the pumpkin with potatoes but you won't get the same sweetness.
I love this with naan bread.

INGREDIENTS

1 small pumpkin, skinned and seeded, cut into large cubes (I used oriental summer squash and you can even leave the skin on if you like a bit more bite to the texture, just give it a good clean with a brush)
2 sprigs curry leaves, discard stalks
2 - 3 tbs mustard seeds
5 - 6 dried chillies or more if you like it kicking hot, soaked to soften and remove some of the seeds
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 - 3 tbs grated ginger
1 tbs turmeric powder
1 tbs coriander powder
water
salt
oil for frying (I used grapeseed oil)

METHOD

Heat oil in pan and stir in curry leaves, mustard seeds and dried chillies until the mustard seeds start to pop. Remove chillies.
Add chopped onions and grated ginger and fry until onions are soft.
Toss in diced pumpkin, turmeric powder and coriander powder and stir to combine.
Add about half cup of water, stir and simmer covered, until liquid evaporates and pumpkin turns soft. If needed, add more water, cover and simmer until the desired softness. Do not put in too much water or pumpkin will become mushy.
Add salt to taste.
(Sprinkle with some chopped fresh coriander if desired)



25 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious with wonderful aromatic flavors! What a nice alternative to the traditional pumpkin dishes and so well timed! Thank you for this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pumpkin sounds delicious with all of the wonderful spices Mmmm...thanks for sharing :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boulder L: Yup, I thought it would be a nice change.

    Amy: Hi! Thanks for visiting. Do try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally roast pumpkins in the oven.. pan frying is not a bad idea!! Probably a lot quicker too. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful recipe. I love the spices. Yummy yummy chilies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly: I usually prefer the oven too, less mess on the stovetop. But in this case, the frying intensifies the fragrance of the spices.

    Briarrose: I like it spicy too! Sizzling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ping...congrats...you made it to Foodbuzz Top 9 :) Great pumpkin dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I wanna make it soon...thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Elin! Yay! My first top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  10. meltingbutter: you are most welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make a lot with pumpkin and i like your your recipe very much. I love your ginger karate! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. H'lo, Michelangelo, thanks for dropping by. I can imagine all your beautiful carvings on the pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an outstanding idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I've never thought of cooking pumpkin with mustard seeds and curry, must be delicious! I can imagine the play of all the spices!! Bookmarked! And it's a good idea to try this with potatoes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could be a great option on my Thanksgiving table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peredur: You're most welcome. I'm now following you.

    Alina: Try it out. It's also good with sweet potatoes .... or do they call it yams?

    Linn: Yup, definitely a nice change. Love your videos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ping!

    I already posted about your delicious recipe and I guess FoodBuzz agrees. Congrats on being in the Top 9 of FoodBuzz today! Yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Boulder L! I'm thrilled to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ping:
    Talked about Indian style pumpkins, reminded me of Malaysia's Indian banana leaf rice with mashed pumpkins :-P
    Congrate on making to top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Yin, thanks. I love banana leaf rice, esp the accompaniments like this one. That's why gotta learn to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pumpkin is out on the markets of Fethiye at the moment. We usually use it to make a risotto or soup so it's lovely to see a different recipe for it - especially an Indian one. Love the spices!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey I made this today - just without the mustard seeds as they suddenly disappeared from all supermarkets - it tasted good!! My b/f was glad we'd have some healthy veggies on the side!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad you tried it and liked it. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have a lot of great recipes which is why I love coming back again and again to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Alisa. Thanks for your visits. My door's always open :D

    ReplyDelete