Lijit Ad Tag

Nov 27, 2010

Tiramisu





♪♫ * Here's a story,
Of a man who's crazy.
With his friend, they cleaned out the entire boooowwll ..... ♪♫

*(Sing to the theme song of The Brady Bunch)

Needless to say, the two of them were off tiramisu for a long while after that. The funniest part of the story is .... I'd made the coffee mixture so strong, they didn't get to sleep til 6:30 am the next morning!
I guess you should decide how strong you'd like the coffee with bedtime in mind .... unless you're immune to the effects of caffeine. And of course, eating the whole thing didn't help! :D

Since this was the first time I'm working with pasteurized eggs, I'm not sure if it's just me but it seemed like it took a much longer time to whisk the funny-looking, cloudy egg whites into peaks. But eventually, it all came together nicely ..... phew!

INGREDIENTS

2 cups strong black coffee
1/4 cup (or more, hic) coffee liquer of your choice (I use Kahlua, sometimes Dark Rum)
2 pasteurized eggs, separated
1/4 cup caster sugar
250 g mascarpone / ricotta cheese
1 cup cream, whipped
Savoyardi biscuits / Genoise sponge (here, I used savoyardi fingers)
Dark cocoa powder

SERVING DISH SIZE

6 1/2" X 8 1/2" X 3" deep dish
or
Create individual servings

METHOD

Combine coffee and liquer in a deep bowl, wide enough to dip the biscuits in.
Beat egg yolks and sugar until mixture turns pale and thickened. Add cheese and mix until just combined. Fold in whipped cream.
In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks stage and fold quickly and gently into cream mixture until well combined.
Dip the biscuits, one at a time, flat side down, one side only, into coffee mixture. * Do not over soak the biscuits otherwise it's gonna get all soggy. Line the base of serving dish in a single layer.
Spread half of the cream mixture over the biscuits. Smooth out the surface with a spatula. Dust with an even layer of cocoa powder.
Dip more biscuits and place over dusted layer. Spread remaining cream over biscuits. Smooth surface and finish off with another dusting of cocoa powder.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve chilled on its own, with fresh fruits or a fruit coulis.












22 comments:

  1. wow good work... looking yummy... what ever it takes just leave it... now u have the yummy Tiramisu... enjoy it...

    http://cookingbachelors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan: I could be wrong but you're singing to MJ's "Beat it", aren't you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my this looks wonderful. Beautiful job putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh....my mouth is watering now just drooling at them..so sinfully rich and yummy looking :p Thanks Ping for sharing this :)

    A toast to such a well done job :)
    Elin

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha that's pretty funny with that coffee... anyway, your Tiramisu looks fabulous! I can't take my eyes off the first picture! I've never heard of pasteurized eggs before, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alina, Regular eggs are fine if you know they're really fresh. I used pasteurized eggs to be on the safe side ..... salmonella, etc, you'll never know. And those crazy guys eating that kind of amount .... tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would eat the entire bowl ;)! This tiramisu looks delicious! After reading this I feel like I should whip up a batch soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, do try it out .... but eat the entire bowl? .... you have been warned ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes yes, I know about salmonella, we just don't have pasteurized eggs here - I would definitely use them! For now I just wash them twice if I use them raw...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one gorgeous dessert. I can totally see why it got eaten all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I am so utterly impressed with your gorgeous Tiramisu. I don't know any one, except you, and my son-in-law who is an executive pastry chef that makes it just like that, and so do I.

    You will be hearing from me soon again, with an award!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elisabeth: Wow! I am so flattered right now! If I had a tail, I'd be wagging it at full speed! An award?! Ooo happiness! That'll be my very first! Thanks sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Tiramisu! My favorite Italian dessert. I have not made this for a long time. Got to get busy to have a taste of your exquisite recipe! Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelangelo, I haven't made this for a long time too until I managed to get my hands on pasteurized eggs. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK-Like I said, I do have an award for you...please stop by my blog to pick it up. All you have to do is to copy and paste the award, and the rules to your blog, and just follow through, passing it on to 15 bloggers or less if you prefer.
    You most certainly deserve this award...Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you!!!! Will be by to pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks decadent and amazing. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up! I have to try this boozy version!

    ReplyDelete