Lijit Ad Tag

Oct 24, 2014

Pan Seared Salmon with Passionfruit & Capers Sauce





Right.
So I’m up to my eyeballs in passionfruit. 
I’m good. Can’t seem to get tired of those fragrant things. Just bored of eating them the same way. Besides turning them into jam (Wanna see? Here.), I’ve made them into drinks, used them in cakes, desserts … notice something? It’s always a sweet. 
Then this afternoon, I was browsing at the grocers wondering what’s for dinner. Friend suggested salmon. And so, “bwwiiing!!”, went the lightbulb that is my noggin’.
Why not a savoury?

It’s always been a lemon and dill sauce for salmon….something contrasty to the rich, oily fish.
Passionfruit? Yessss….
Didn’t want a rich, cloying sauce. Figured I’d go with something lighter … more refreshing …. more, um, lazy. 

So here goes. Tell me if you like it. I did! 

As always, my portions are small. Double up or triplify (new word, my friends call it Pinglish) if you like. Adjust the ingredients to suit your palate.


INGREDIENTS

Salmon fillets
1 tbs butter
1 tbs grape seed oil 
salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 heaped tbs capers, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
pulp of one large passionfruit
1 tsp honey (or to taste)


METHOD

Season salmon with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Heat the butter and oil in a pan.
Pan sear the salmon, skin side down. Using a spatula, press lightly on salmon so that it doesn’t curl.
When skin is crisp (about 2-3 mins), flip and sear other side til it’s done to your liking.
Remove from pan and let rest.

Meanwhile, stir together yogurt, chopped capers, passionfruit pulp and honey.
Glop over salmon and enjoy!











8 comments:

  1. What a creative idea! It's amazing but I bought a passionfruit yesterday (A passionfruit because it was quite expensive...). I am in love with this fruit, its tanginess, its crunch and the enticing aroma... In short, I envy you the prices that allow you to make passionfruit jams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's affordable here as we have locally grown ones. The imported ones are very expensive as well. I too am in love with the fruit ... aptly named, don't you think?

      Delete
  2. Hi Ping! Good use of passionfruit. This is the type of dish that I shy away from because I think it is difficult (read : Artsy Fartsy). But yours is not complicated at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing artsy fartsy about my stuff. It's all doable and edible...sometimes looking pretty weird !

      Delete
  3. Don't call me copy cat but I posted a salmon recipe couple of days ago:) Great minds think alike. I prefer your salmon since the portion looks more generous, at least in the photo. But I am not a fan of passion fruit because long time ago I ate too much and you can guess the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I won't call you a COPY CAT. Aww...kidding.
      Sumac crusted sounds great!
      Hey...don't blame the fruit just coz you got greedy.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Ricky. Will look into it soon.

    ReplyDelete