Lijit Ad Tag

Nov 17, 2015

Rosemary Ginger Banana Cake






I thought I’d posted my favourite banana cake recipe awhile ago. Can’t seem to find it anywhere. 
But, no biggie. 
Here’s a twist to the basic.

That worked really well …. lightly fragrant with rosemary and ginger. I used crystallised ginger instead of fresh, so as not to have it too pungent and spicy. And a sprig of rosemary on the top and not chopped nor mixed into the batter. It is after all, a banana cake and we don’t want to confuse the main hero of this recipe.

And if you’re a stickler for tradition, just omit the herb and ginger and stick with the same proportions, it’ll still yield a lovely loaf…well, three little loaves if you use the same tins I did. 

Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

1+ 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1+1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp fine salt

3 large eggs
1+1/2 cups soft brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (I used pisang emas, also known as monkey bananas)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or any unflavored cooking oil)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
rosemary sprigs


METHOD

Preheat oven to 180C.
Oil and line loaf pans. I used 3 mini loaf pans (6”x3”x2”)

Whisk sifted flour, baking soda and salt together.
In another larger bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, mashed bananas, vanilla extract, melted butter and oil until well mixed.
Add flour and fold evenly into mixture.
Stir in chopped crystallized ginger.
Fill tins.
Place a sprig of rosemary on the top of each loaf.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 mins.
Remove from tins and leave to cool on rack.




*(Remove rosemary sprig before consuming.) 







1 comment:

  1. Hey Ping! This is interesting. I'm trying to imagine the crystallized ginger, banana and rosemary. It sounds strange but sometimes these unlikely partners do produce amazing tastes. I must try and taste it myself.

    ReplyDelete