Lijit Ad Tag

Sep 6, 2010

Homemade Ginger Ale

Adapted from Aran Goyoaga's recipe @ Design Sponge



This is such a great recipe! I've never thought of making my own soda until I chanced upon this fabulous post. I've tweaked it a little to my taste by adding a little more ginger. I like a bit more oomph to my ginger ale. I've thought of reducing the sugar but then the yeast might not react properly. I'm too chicken to try it out .... yet.
So refreshing on hot, sweaty days ..... like, everyday over here. Sigh, if mother nature would just screw up and let it snow here and have a fair exchange with somewhere far up north or down south where they might appreciate a bit more sunshine. Double sigh. Oh well, I'm allowed to dream.
Meanwhile, back to ginger ale ......

How To Know When It's Ready:

Remember to use a plastic bottle. .The gases from the fermentation can crack a glass jar.
Those 2 liter plastic soda bottles will work just fine. Recycle, recycle.
Feel the bottle by squeezing the sides. When you've just filled it, it's nice and soft and squeezable. After about a day or 2 or 3, you can feel it's more resistant. Refrigerate the bottle once it's ready, to stop further fermentation.
There will be a little residue at the bottom. Not to worry, it's just the yeast. Throw the last bit away when you get to it.

INGREDIENTS

3 tbs grated fresh ginger (2 tbs young ginger + 1 tbs old ginger)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 - 1/2 tsp instant yeast
7 cups water

METHOD

In a small pot, add grated ginger, sugar and 1/2 cup water.
Bring to a boil and let sugar dissolve. Remove pan from heat and allow to steep and cool for about 30 mins.
Strain the syrup through a fine sieve.
Mix in lemon juice, yeast and 7 cups water. Whisk together.
Using a funnel. pour into plastic bottle. Screw the cap on and let it ferment at room temperature for about 2 - 3 days.
Make sure to refrigerate after it starts to carbonate.



Print

4 comments:

  1. Wahh "almost" new blog :p, great! Welcome to the blogging world ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much for the welcome. Still getting used to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it! It's awesome! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm glad you like it! There's gonna be something different coming up soon!

      Delete