Lijit Ad Tag

Dec 4, 2010

DIY: Candied Citrus






I was looking to get some nice looking citrus peel to decorate some citrus bars I was planning to make. And all I could find were those dried chopped up peel that looks like it had been on the shelves for a decade and a day. No cute pinwheel ones that you see on the desserts in the fancy cafes or those long elegant stalks that decorate that yummy, luscious chocolate cake calling out to you from the cake shop window .... grrr.
So, I've decided that if I want something done a certain way, I'll just have to do it myself. (This applies to a lot of everyday doings too!). It's not worth the effort, running all over the city, fighting the traffic, and when you finally find some, it'll probably cost an arm and another limb and a couple of traffic citations to boot. Double grrr.
Perhaps these don't look too elegant right now, but I'm gonna be making more and hopefully, in due time, I'd get the hang of it and eventually they'll be shop-window worthy. Fingers and other digits crossed...



INGREDIENTS

Lemons
Oranges (washed and scrubbed, organic would be better)

* I made pinwheel lemons and orange strips

SYRUP

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
(if you need a larger amount just use the ratio of 2:1 sugar to water)

METHOD

Cut fruits into slices or slivers. If using peel alone, discard as much of the bitter white pith as possible.
Put cut peel into a pot and add just enough water to cover the whole lot.
Put over medium heat for 15 mins. Discard liquid and repeat the process with fresh water 3 -4 times. (I did it only 3 times as I prefer a little bitterness to the peel). Discard liquid and allow peel to dry out a little on a rack.
Meanwhile, prepare the syrup.
Place the sugar and water in a pan and allow sugar to dissolve completely on low heat.
When completely dissolved, place peel into syrup and leave to simmer until most of the syrup is absorbed and peel looks translucent.
Remove from pan and coat evenly in powdered sugar. Leave on racks to dry.
Store in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place.









2 comments:

  1. I made some candied peel using your recipe and it is delicious. Haven't had it for years, and I like to eat it like lollies, so it didn't last long. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin. Glad you liked it. They keep very well too ... well, umm, you didn't get to find that out :D

    ReplyDelete