Lijit Ad Tag

Feb 2, 2015

Hot Sauce (Sriracha) Chicken Wings






There are so many types of chilly sauce here, locally made to suit our very fireproof tastebuds. I’ve only come across the name “Sriracha” in the American blogs and recipes. And I don’t think it was even on our grocer shelves til recently. 
I’ve ignored it for the longest time, never having a need for some foreign brand telling me it’s better than what I can get at home. 

Then this recipe popped up. The gooey deliciousness got to my tummy and I. 
Drool, I did. Make, I want.

I was sure this could also be made using our local chilly sauce / hot sauce. But then, I’ve never tasted Sriracha. Who knows, maybe it’s got an interesting flavouring that makes the recipe. Gotta get a bottle. Bought, I did.

Meh. It’s hot sauce. Chilly sauce, minus the sugary sweetness that many of our local brands favor. Now I can truly say … yes, this can also be made using our local chilly / hot sauces … minus the honey.
The thing that makes this more interesting is the bergamot leaves. It gives it an exotic flavor and a beautiful scent to the whole “burn my tongue silly”. 


(Recipe adapted from Slow Roasted Italian)

INGREDIENTS

6 chicken wings (drummets to tips, whole or separated)
1/2 cup Sriracha sauce
1/2 cups honey
1 tbs butter
juice of 1 lime
2 tsps finely shredded bergamot leaves (lima purut), divided

METHOD

Toss everything with 1 tsp of shredded bergamot into a slow cooker. 
Stir to coat chicken wings.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours. 
Remove wings gently (gets very tender and might fall to pieces) and place on a lined baking pan.

From this point, you can broil the chicken wings immediately and baste with the watery liquid or reduce the liquid to a thick syrup and then baste and broil and baste and broil …. to your heart’s content and until it’s slightly caramelised.

Remove from oven.
Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp shredded bergamot leaves and serve warm.








4 comments:

  1. Ping, so sriracha is just OK only? Nothing earth shattering? I read glowing reviews of it in a cookbook. So of course I was curious and found it at Tesco recently. But I didn't buy because I was afraid I might not like it. Anyways, this recipe should be awesome and I guess I'll just use our local chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just saying it's a normal tasting hot sauce ... kinda like the ones we have as a dipping sauce that comes with the goo bak koay teow. The closest I can think of to use as a sub for this recipe would be the kampung koh chilly sauce or the chilly padi ones from Sabah. Maggi is way too sweet. Or if you really wanna use Sriracha and not want to buy a whole bottle, we could meet at our nearby twinsy mall and I can pass my bottle to you. But there are other ways to use that sauce ... fried rice, kimchi, etc.
      Pity it doesn't come in a smaller size...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Lizzy! Thank you very much! So nice to see you ... xoxo

      Delete