Lijit Ad Tag

Dec 9, 2010

Quickie Quiche





Tonight is lazy night. My fridge is semi-empty and so is my brain. Can't think of anything to make for dinner. No, make that, there are lots of things I'd like to have for dinner but there is always that one or two essential ingredients from the recipe that I don't have in my pantry or fridge. So, I'll just try to fix something from whatever I can find in my freezer, fridge and pantry. Let's see ...... we have ....
bacon, half a fennel bulb, chives, shredded cheddar, onions, some eggs left in the carton, some butter, about a cup of cream, hmmm ......
and in the pantry ..... flour ...... hmmm ......

INGREDIENTS: SHORTCRUST PASTRY

10 oz plain flour
5 oz cold, unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, slightly beaten

*Note: this makes enough pastry for two 8" quiche pans. I can't make for one coz it's kinda hard to measure out half an egg.

METHOD

Pulse together flour, salt and butter in a food processor (I did mention I was feeling lazy today) until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add beaten egg and pulse to mix until it forms into a ball of dough. Do not overmix.
Remove, wrap with plastic and leave to rest in the fridge for about 20 mins.
Roll out dough and press into base and sides of quiche pan. Pierce a few holes at the base of pastry with a fork. Refrigerate 20 mins before baking.
Preheat oven to 200˚C.
Line pastry with parchment and fill with baking beans/beads. Bake 15-20 mins. Remove beads and parchment and bake for another 2-3 mins. Do not allow to brown.
Pour filling into crust and bake 25-30 mins or until the top of the filling turns golden brown.
Remove from oven and let stand 10 mins before digging in. Serve with a fresh green salad.

INGREDIENTS: FILLING

(These are just estimates since I was trying to clear out whatever was left)

1 cup coarsely chopped bacon
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fennel bulb
1 small onion, diced
3 eggs
1 cup cream
1 cup shredded cheddar (you can always use parmesan/gruyere)
3 tbs chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste

METHOD

Place bacon in a pan and saute until lightly browned, not crisp. Add in chopped onion and fennel. Stir until onions are soft. Leave to cool.
Beat together eggs and cream in a bowl until evenly combined. Stir in bacon mixture and chopped chives. Season to taste. (If bacon is salty, reduce or leave out the salt)
Pour into crust. Bake as above.

*You can make one large quiche or smaller individual ones.

PS: This turned out pretty good. Sometimes the simplest, throw together dish can be the yummiest!







10 comments:

  1. Perfectly gorgeous ! looks yummy and I bet U dont have any more left now d(^_^)b
    ~C1tr4~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Ping if this is what you come up when you have no ideas I'd love to come for dinner when YOU do have an idea! This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indonesian in Turkey: Nope, not even a crumb. Yum! And empty cupboards too...time to go shopping again!

    Boulder: If and whenever you're in the neighborhood... you're most welcome to drop by for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...wonderful job on an off the cuff meal. The color in the quiche is so tempting. Love the mini's. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll get a kiss for my quiche if I make it this beautiful!! Another exciting idea for this popular French dish. Most innovative, I say! You really inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelangelo: A kiss for a quiche! Haha ... how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the quiche, and the filling so yummy! Also think that your crust recipe is perfect!
    I will certainly make it, just the way you have, maybe change the filling ingredients around a little...but the bacon is a must!
    Thanks for sharing, Ping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Elisabeth! Yup, I agree, bacon ... a must! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quiche Ping! Sometimes things are the most delicious when you cook with what you have on hand, like in this case :)!

    ReplyDelete