Lijit Ad Tag

Dec 16, 2010

Spiced Pumpkin and Tomato Soup Chicken





The last of the pumpkins for the year!
I like buying pumpkins. I always get all sorts of ideas on ways to cook or bake with them whenever I see them at the markets. But sometimes, things don't always go as planned and all those big plans I had for them go poof! and to prevent it from going moldy (it's very humid here), I'd steam it, mash it and then freeze it.
This is my very last frozen pack of mashed pumpkin. I didn't want to make the regular stuff so I thought I'd tweak a childhood favorite dish of my husband's. It's actually a local dish called "ayam masak merah" in the Malay language (literally translated: ayam = chicken; masak = cook; merah = red), which should really read as, "red cooked chicken". The spices vary very much from household to household and also from state to state. And ... there is never any pumpkin involved.
Like I said, it's my version .....

INGREDIENTS

2 whole chicken legs, chopped into large pieces
2 whole star anise
1 large cinnamon stick
1 large knob ginger, smashed
5 cardamom pods
1/2 tbs chilly flakes
3 tbs fried shallots crisps
1 cup thick tomato soup / 1 250ml canned tomato soup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup pureed / mashed cooked pumpkin
grapeseed oil

METHOD

Heat a little oil and toss in star anise, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom. Stir for a minute or two to release the aromas.
Stir in chicken pieces to brown evenly.
Add tomato soup and water. Stir to combine. Lower heat, cover and allow to simmer 10 mins.
Give it a stir and if needed, add a little more water. Cover and simmer another 10 mins or until chicken is fully cooked through and half of the liquid has evaporated.
When cooked, stir in chilly flakes and pumpkin.
Allow to simmer uncovered for another couple of minutes.
Stir in 2 tbs fried crispy shallots. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbs of the fried shallots just before serving.
Serve hot with fluffy rice, naan or crusty bread.





12 comments:

  1. Wow...looks delicious and it must be very flavorsome too :) Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    Merry Xmas and have fun this christmas festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elin! Wishing you and your lovely piggies and boar a merry christmas and happy holidays too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful pumpkin dish!!! Has all the fabulous spices I like, What could be better! Anytime a dish has fried shallot flakes, it has to be so delicious!!! Since I have run out of pumpkins, I could try this with squash I hope! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelangelo: Yeah, I suppose any creamy squash would do it. Happy holidays to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! You have a lovely blog! Love pumpkins and this dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeannie! Thanks for visiting. You have a lovely blog too ... yeah, I checked it out. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear you've done it again! I think you might rename your blog 'Ping's Pumpking Perfection'. I have found the best pumpkin recipes from you! I don't love overly sweet recipes using winter squash so you've greatly help me with my root cellar stores of pumpkins with delicious solutions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BoulderL: Haha! Thanks! But, umm, I think I have only 2 pumpkin recipes at the moment, too early to rename. Glad I could help clear your cellar tho. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous soup. The pumpkin must give a really nice twist of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, briarrose. Actually, it's become more like a thick gravy at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vincent: Ooooohhh... I would be so honored! Yes! Yes! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great flavor combination you have going in that dish. It sounds warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete